Quantum GIS or QGIS as it is also known is GIS software often used by ecologists for habitat mapping and orientating data spatially.
The course is aimed at anyone with an interest in local wildlife but could also be useful for undergraduates and postgraduates students or for anybody currently or intending to work in ecological consultancy or for environmental organisations. The course is designed for those with little to no experience in using GIS software and knowledge of QGIS is not required.
By the end of the course, you should be able to:
- Understand and use the main controls on QGIS
- Know how to create and style vectors
- Digitise data in QGIS including producing a Phase 1 map
9:50 – 10.00 Arrival and Registration
10.00 – 11.00 Introduction to QGIS and Overview of the main controls
11.00 – 11.15 Break
11.15 – 11.45 Creating vector layers (points, lines and polygons) and use of the attribute table
11.45 – 12.15 Importing from phones/GPS units
12.15 – 13.00 Styling vectors
13.00 – 1.30 Lunch
13.30 – 14.15 Phase one digitising
14.15 – 14.30 Create, share and import the JNCC phase 1 colour pallete
14.30 – 14.45 Using print composer to add legends and exporting maps as picture files
14.45 – 15.00 Phase one calculations from GIS data
15.00 – 16.00 Importing data and plugins
The course will be entirely office based, held in our office in Cardiff Bay.
- The course will cost £100.00 per person inclusive of VAT.
- The course runs from 10.00 am until 4.00 pm.
- Tea, coffee and biscuits are provided – please bring your own packed lunch.
- All attendees will be issued with a certificate of attendance.
- The course will be held at our offices in Cardiff Bay and will be entirely office-based.
- If possible please could you bring a wi-fi enabled laptop to the daytime course.
Please click on the button below to see our other upcoming courses.