Acer Ecology recently carried out an extended Phase 1 habitat survey at a site proposed for a solar farm in Devon. The site comprised mostly of improved grassland, which provides little value for wildlife. However, the peripheral hedgerows of the site were species rich and could potentially have been of value to a range of protected species, including nesting birds, commuting bats, dormice and reptiles. We worked alongside the landowner and their architect to ensure that the development progressed smoothly through the planning process, while maintaining the ecological integrity of the site.
Acer Ecology’s ecologists are well placed to carry out ecology surveys in and around Torquay including Paignton, Salcombe, Exmouth, Woolacombe, Bideford, Barnstaple, Lynton, Ivybridge and Newton Abbot. We also have capacity to carry out ecology work in the surrounding counties of Cornwall, Somerset, Bristol, south Gloucestershire and Dorset.
We cover a wide range of ecological services including:
- Preliminary ecological appraisals (Extended Phase 1 habitat surveys);
- Acting as Suitably Qualified Ecologists (SQE) in Code for Sustainable Homes and BREEAM Ecology Assessments;
- Protected species surveys (plants, bats, badgers, great crested newt, otter, water vole, birds, reptiles, invertebrates, white-clawed crayfish etc.);
- European protected species licence applications;
- Specialist vegetation surveys;
- Tree surveys (BS5837);
- Landscape architecture and design;
- Ecological Impact Assessments(EcIA);
- Habitat creation and management plans;
- GIS capabilities;
- On-site works including ecological clerk of works, species translocation, watching briefs, supervision of contractors and tool box talks.