Phase 1 & QGIS Training Course February 4th 2018
This one day course comprises a session on Phase One Habitat survey methods in the morning and QGIS training in the afternoon.
Phase 1 Habitat Survey is the industry-standard habitat mapping method that is used as a baseline in most ecological surveys. QGIS is a free and open source Geographical Information System which is widely used by Local Authorities and conservation organisations. This course is aimed at environmental professionals or learners aspiring to work in the environmental sector and provides an introduction to the phase 1 technique.
The course will introduce participants to the Phase One methodology used frequently by ecologists to classify habitats. The QGIS day will explain how QGIS software can be used to map sites and specifically teach participants to use the QGIS software. There will be both indoor and outdoor components in order to undertake a Phase One Habitat survey. The course will be delivered by Acer Ecology in Cardiff Bay.
By the end of the course, you should be able to:
- Show an understanding of how to undertake a Phase 1 Habitat Survey.
- Demonstrate a knowledge of how to classify habitats using the Phase 1 methodology.
- Appreciate how to draw a Phase 1 habitat map using QGIS software.
9.50-10.00am Arrival and Registration
10.00-10.30 Introduction to Phase 1 Habitats
10.30-13.00 Fieldwork mapping a range of sites in Cardiff Bay (lunch to be taken in the field)
13.00-16.00 Using QGIS to Produce a Phase 1 Map, Protected Sites Map and Pond Layout Plan. The course will include the following elements:
– Initial Setup of QGIS;
– Raster and Vector Files;
– Main Controls;
– Drawing Polgons, Line and Point Files;
– Phase 1 Pallete & Categorised Styling;
– Importing data; and
– Using Print Composer.
- The course will cost £50 per person inclusive of VAT. .
- The course runs from 10 am until 4 pm.
- Tea, coffee and biscuits are provided – please bring your own packed lunch.
- The morning of the course will be mainly field based and so please wear appropriate footwear and clothing.
- All attendees will be issued with a certificate of attendance.
- The course will be held at our offices in Cardiff Bay.
- If possible please could you bring a wi-fi enabled laptop to the course.
Contact us on 029 2065 0331 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to enrol. Please click below to see our other upcoming courses.