We are currently running this training course on two dates: 3rd March 2019 and 23rd June 2019.
Please note that the course running on the 3rd March is fully booked.
This one day course comprises a session on Phase One Habitat survey methods in the morning, and QGIS training in the afternoon.
The Phase One Habitat Survey is the industry-standard habitat mapping method which is used as a baseline in most ecological surveys. QGIS is a free and open-source Geographical Information System which is widely used by Local Authorities and conservation organisations. This course is aimed at environmental professionals or learners aspiring to work in the environmental sector, and provides an introduction to the Phase One technique.
The course will introduce participants to the Phase One methodology used frequently by ecologists to classify habitats. The QGIS afternoon will explain how QGIS software can be used to map sites and specifically teach participants to use the QGIS software. There will be both indoor and outdoor components in order to undertake a Phase One Habitat survey. The course will be delivered by Acer Ecology in Cardiff Bay.
By the end of the course, you should be able to:
- Show an understanding of how to undertake a Phase 1 Habitat Survey;
- Demonstrate a knowledge of how to classify habitats using the Phase 1 methodology; and
- Appreciate how to draw a Phase 1 habitat map using QGIS software.
The course will include the following elements:
– Initial Setup of QGIS;
– Raster and Vector Files;
– Main Controls;
– Drawing Polgons, Line and Point Files;
– Phase 1 Pallete & Categorised Styling;
– Importing data; and
– Using Print Composer.
9.50-10.00am Arrival and Registration
10.00-10.30 Introduction to Phase 1 Habitats
10.30-13.00 Fieldwork mapping a range of sites in Cardiff Bay (lunch to be taken in the field)
13.00-16.00 Using QGIS to Produce a Phase 1 Map, a Protected Sites Map and a Pond Layout Plan.
- The course will cost £75.00 per person inclusive of VAT.
- The course runs from 10am until 4pm.
- Tea, coffee and biscuits are provided – please bring your own packed lunch.
- The morning of the course will be mainly field based, so please wear appropriate footwear and clothing.
- All attendees will be issued with a certificate of attendance.
- The course will be held at our offices in Cardiff Bay.
- If possible, please bring a wi-fi enabled laptop to the course.
Contact us on 029 2065 0331 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to enrol. Please click below to see our other upcoming courses.