An Introduction to the BatSound 4 Software – 7th April 2019
This one-day course, which is aimed at beginners and intermediate users, aims to give participants the knowledge and skills to use the Pettersson Elektronik BatSound 4 software to analyse recordings. The basic skills obtained are transferable and form a solid foundation for using other types of sound analysis software.
The course starts with an introduction to sound, and how we can use that knowledge to interpret our findings. Identification of echolocation calls and some social calls of British bat species, and some vagrant species, will be covered. The course will then discuss the functions of the BatSound software and presentation of your results.
- Bats and Sound – An introduction to the physics of sound, how bats use echolocation and social calls, and how calls are affected by the environment.
- BatSound Software 4 – An introduction to the use of the software. Specific areas covered are:
- Settings to be used and why
- Naming and organising of files
- Functions to aid species ID
- Practical Exercises – The participants will learn how to identify about 15 different bat calls through practical exercises.
The course will be delivered by BatSound expert Erika Dahlberg. She has experience in using the software for research projects and commercial consultancy and has held professional training courses on the topic for 10 years.
Additional Information and Course Booking:
- The course costs £100 per person, inclusive of VAT and will be held at our office in Cardiff Bay.
- The course will run from 10am until 4pm, with a break for lunch and regular breaks for tea and coffee.
- Tea, coffee and biscuits are provided – please bring your own packed lunch.
- All attendees will be issued with a certificate of attendance.
- Participants will need access to a Wi-fi enabled laptop in order to practice using the software. A mouse is highly recommended.
- Information on downloading the software will be given out in the week before the course. Sound files will be supplied via a USB stick on the day.
Contact us on 029 2065 0331 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to enrol.
Please click below to see our other upcoming courses.