Acer Ecology is a leading ecological consultancy with our main office based in Cardiff. We also have home-based ecologists throughout the country.
Our ecologists are members of the Chartered Institute for Ecological and Environmental Management (CIEEM), the professional body for ecological consultants. All surveys are carried out by fully insured, experienced ecologists, holding the relevant licences issued by Natural Resources Wales or Natural England. Together, our ecologists draw from over several decades of experience, in fields ranging from nature conservation, academic research, local authorities, and ecological consultancy.
We have a reputation for producing high-quality work and achieving pragmatic, practical solutions that ensure compliance with wildlife legislation.
Since its inception, the company has achieved a sound business foundation and has an expanding workload. We are enthusiastic about all aspects of our work and continually strive to achieve excellence.
The practice includes staff licensed to deal with a range of protected species, including bats, dormice, great crested newts, white-clawed crayfish, and various schedule one birds including barn owls and red kites. Our ecologists are full, associate or graduate Members of CIEEM and are bound by CIEEM’s professional code of conduct. Our ecologists all implement Acer Ecology’s health and safety, environmental and quality assurance policies.
Acer Ecology staff members Paul Hudson and Rory Jones are full members of the Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management.
For more information about our other ecological services call us on 029 2065 0331.
Our ecological activities include:
- Preliminary ecological appraisals (Extended Phase 1 habitat surveys)
- Acting as Suitably Qualified Ecologists (SQE) in Code for Sustainable Homes and BREEAM Ecology Assessments
- National Vegetation Classification (NVC) surveys
- Hedgerow assessments and surveys
- River Corridor and River Habitat surveys
- Protected species surveys (plants, bats, badgers, great crested newt, otter, water vole, birds, reptiles, invertebrates, white-clawed crayfish etc.)
- Specialist bat surveys, building, tree and habitat activity assessments
- Great crested newt surveys and pond habitat suitability index (HSI) assessments
- Reptile surveys, translocation projects, and mitigation design
- Barn owl surveys
- Badger surveys
- Otter surveys
- Water vole surveys
- Dormouse surveys
- Small mammal surveys
- Bird surveys, including detailed nesting surveys and vantage point surveys
- Surveys and habitat assessments for marsh fritillary butterfly
- White-clawed crayfish surveys
- Specialist invertebrate and entomological surveys
- European protected species licence applications
- Tree surveys (BS5837)
- Ecological Impact Assessments (EcIA)
- Habitat creation and management plans
- GIS capabilities
- On-site works including ecological clerk of works, species translocation, watching briefs, supervision of contractors and toolbox talks
- Ecological Training
- Wildlife Interpretation